Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Hey, Lady

You may (or may not ) know this, but I work out at a gym here in town.The gym is on the south end and is the biggest and newest facility in town. All walks of life work out there ,but, a lot of the more effluent members of our community call this gym their home. I mean,kids in the daycare having nicer footwear then I do.  Anyways,after my workouts I often take advantage of the fact that my kids are happily playing in the day care, and sneak in a shower. Not going to lie, sometimes I go to the gym just so I can get a shower in that day!Anyways, anyone who has even been in a ladies locker room knows it is a big gossip fest! A few weeks ago I was listening to a lady and her friend in there( because really, how do you not listen) and I have a message for that lady: 
I am glad I am not you! 
Here is why.
The conversation started out innocently enough with a "oh, cute shoes, are they new"
Lady #2 answers "Yes, they were over $200" She then proceeds to tell her friend the brand, store she bought them from and how they are limited edition.
 Friend listens and wraps it up with a "oh, that's nice" ,type of compliment then comments on how she loves her shoes and she got them on sale for $100. Lady #2 comments "oh! I could never wear $100 shoes, they would hurt my feet to much"..... yes, she actually said that.
 Then they begin talking about a trip Lady #2 is taking. 
Lady # 2 says," I need to hit the gym hard this week, I have let myself go".(ps, she has a flawless body) "I don't really care what I look like as long as I look better then Sue" she was dead serious.Then they kindly talked about Sue for a few moments and I gathered they were friends yet Lady #2 was 100% serious that she needed to look better then her friend and grew angered at herself at the possibility that Sue might "look" better then she would look.
Then Lady #2 is putting away her workout clothes and begins talking about this name brand product and that name brand product as she packs up her gym bag. Making sure to include the prices of each item. Her friend is supportive with a "oh nice" or "wow" comment here or there. Finally Lady #2 summed up the conversation by stating "you always have to be better then the rest"... and she wasn't talking about how much she could rep or how fast she could run, she was talking about materialistic goods. After listening to all of this my brain went from thinking oh, wow it would be nice to look that great in my 40's, to "wow a resort trip would be nice this time of year", to ...Lady #2" I feel sorry for you and I am glad I am not you".
 Maybe it is because I don't have money, maybe it is because I am poor and so out of necessity, materialistic goods can not have a high place in my life, but I simply can not fathom having them be so important to you that it is all you can talk about, that you are so obsessed with the cost of items and letting everyone know it. Why has trying to keep up with the Jones's consumed your life so much? Why do you care if you look better then Sue or if you have $200 limited edition shoes or just $100 shoes? What is wrong with our culture that people feel they have to have money to be of value. 

Now,I know that Lady #2 is not representing all those who have money.  I know she isn't representing all hockey mom's, because don't you know that she was one( and her kids skates were this much and the stick this much and her Escalade filled with hockey gear blah blah blah), but sadly there is a large group of people who think they have to literally have it all and how much it "all" costs, is of importance. 
My nephew wears the latest and greatest shoes, and my niece has a nicer car then my husband. My point being ,I am not a people-with-money hater but rather, that there are plenty of people out there with money who have their priorities in the right place and don't place all the importance of life on materialistic things. My sister and her husband as well as my parents make nice livings for themselves and in no way talk or behave like this woman.
Back to my story, 
We were heading out of the locker room at the same time and Lady#2 happen to glance my way. I kid you not she looked me up and down quick, then actually turned her nose up at me,gave a slight eye roll and was on her way. It was like something out of the mean girls movie Maybe it was my old worn in sweatshirt(which may or may not have had a spit up stain on it), maybe it was my over-faded  non name brand jeans, maybe  Sue standing behind me, who knows, but one thing is for sure, I am pretty sure Lady #2 was glad she wasn't me!

I happily walked to get my kids then to my mini van, which ironically enough was parked between two Escalade's, and merrily went on my way.

For anyone out there struggling with the feeling of having to keep up with your friends and neighbors, those of you who find your self wanting everything bigger and better then the next person, I would like to leave you with the wise words of Suze Orman
People First
Then Money 
Then Things
Now you have a good night


1 comment:

  1. Amber,
    You have more than those women will EVER have! You are blessed with four beautiful, happy children and a wonderful husband. You will have family memories that you will cherish forever and that will bring joy to your heart. You have the satisfaction of knowing that you are raising your children with strong morals and faith in God. And the love that you give your children will be returned to you many times over. Your family and friends will only remember your kind acts and not what clothes you wore, how your make up looked, or what designer purse you were carrying.

    ReplyDelete