When we moved into this home, there was a built in 4 foot x 4 foot garden in the back. We went back and forth on if we were going to plant this year but decided since we already had all the seeds and the garden was there, why the heck not! I have to admit, my heart was never really in it. We planted peas, carrots, onions, lettuce, tomatoes, raspberries, strawberries and watermelon.
The peas, strawberries and watermelon did great. The other stuff, not so much. The people who lived here before us never harvested anything, they just left everything in the ground and several types of seeds survived unknown to us. We had so many plants coming up all around the garden that we never planted, like cherry tomatoes and peppers! I think the combination of random plants sucking up nutrients and my lack of dedication yielded a less then exciting crop.
Next year!!!
Anyways, it was a cool day and I decided to let the kids harvest anything that was left, including the last of Brandon's prize watermelon, then we dug up the garden for the year. We started off playing outside and I had the camera out which is why there are some sweet bball pics:)
"Benjamin open your eyes when you smile"
I love these next few pictures. The kids had so much fun going in the garden with Brandon throughout the summer and eating strawberries. Not a single one ever made it in the house!
Samuel got a not ripe cherry tomato, thinking it was a strawberry
Annie is holding our sad sad onions...I have no idea what happened, they were so giant last year!
Samuel just kept picking up things hoping they were strawberries and getting really upset when they didn't taste as good:)
We ended our garden digging with a good old fashion watermelon seed spiting contest...ok well Brandon just spit them at Samuel who LOVED it!
No comments:
Post a Comment