Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Allowance Time

I have been toying with the idea of giving my kids an allowance for quite awhile now. I feel it is good for kids to learn how to manage money from a young age and I feel it is a good thing for them to earn it. What kept getting me hung up is I refuse to pay a child for doing chores around the house that they are expected to help out with because they are part of a family, Every time I thought about instituting a chore chart, this little thing stopped me, and I had no solution for it..enter pintrest
I have no idea what I was searching for but I came across some random article that talked about this very sticking point! The solution for this family was including more things then just chores and having consequences when personal responsibility lacked and things were missed. The other thing I really liked, is that this particular family required their kids ages 12 and up to pay for EVERYTHING that wasn't under garments, winter gear and church clothes. While we are years away from some of their ideas I really loved the whole concept, sadly I didn't pin the article though.
I decided to do 50% of Annie's age at the time(5) with a proposed raise to $3 a week in October. To earn this they must: 
*complete one morning and one evening chore a day
*Behave well in homeschool( this includes finishing work in a timely manner)
*Pay attention during mass, no talking follow along etc
*Try all food put before them every.single.meal
*No bad behavior or tantrums allowed

If they successfully get checks for all above mentioned items, they get their full allowance or $2.50 a week. If they get one strike they get 50% for the week and two strikes is no allowance. 
So far, things are great!!!! I can't express how helpful it is to have them  helping around the house and they feel like they are really working hard for their money! I have noticed when I ask them to help with no chore-chart items, they are much more willing to help then they used to be able to. For a week or so they used to ask "Do I get extra money for this" my go to response is "No, you are helping because you are a member of this family". After a week or so, they stopped asking. I do occasionally offer them additional chores to earn extra cash. Things that I don't want to do ( like dig up the entire garden 30 weeks pregnant in 80 degrees with no husband) or things I think they need to start learning but can't do independently ( like folding laundry). They always jump at the opportunity to get some "overtime"
Every Sunday during nap we have pay day! I give them $2.50 then they have to give 10% to savings and 10% to church and they get to keep the rest. When they turn 10 the amounts get upped to 20%, but their allowance amount and items they have to pay for will go up as well, this might change but I have a few years. 
They were supposed to get a raise in October but I have yet to implement that as they are still lacking the personal responsibility to do their chores without being told. Once they remember on a daily basis to check the chart and do the chore without being told, they will get their raise. We are getting closer but its a learning process for them.
Most weeks they have gotten full allowance except one rough week where they both lost it. Since then, its been smooth sailing. I am impressed that so far, neither one has been tempted to spend their money. They are both trying to save to $100. Annie and Elias both learned how awesome birthdays are for your wallet! Annie made out like a mad women( $10 here, $15 there) and Elias can't wait for his bday now. Thank you to grandparents for sending a bit of cash to go along with the b-day gifts!


So far, this is going exactly how I was hoping it would go! The kids are responding well and I am getting some much needed help around the house. I never knew how helpful it would be to have someone else wipe the table off after breakfast and pick up blankets..seriously, so helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment