Monday, April 9, 2012

Vegetarian No More

Back in elementary school my best friend and her family were all vegetarians. She bet me that I couldn't go a week without meat and since I didn't really eat that much to begin with I took her up on that bet. That summer (between 7th and 8th grade) I enjoyed a bowl of Chef B. meat ravioli and after that bowl I didn't eat meat for 17 years...until now(I guess that means I won the bet hua?) I have lived on a diet pretty much consisting of simple carbs and diet coke. Yes I eat fake meat, tofu, occasional fruits and veggies but my diet was far from your typical vegetarian diet. I have always had problems with my blood sugar dropping but since I turned 30 its really gotten pretty out of control. I have been thinking of eating meat again for several other reasons; ease of family dinners,setting good example for my kids etc.. the blood sugar things was just the last factor that made my mind up. I figured that since the last meat meal I had 17 years ago was some ravioli why not make it my first. So with a fussy 3 month old in hand I enjoyed about a half a can of Chef B ravioli, it tasted pretty much the same way it did back then. I have heard stories about how your body responds to meat after not having it for years but so far so good. I am going to really ease into it eating mostly meat in things like ground beef etc. and for the record I don't foresee myself ever eating a big steak but hey you never know. 
The other big dietary change that is going on in the Eberhardt household is the introduction to mostly organic foods. I know what you are thinking, Chef B ravioli is NOT organic, this I know. I have zero intention of being one of those "I am morally superior  because I eat organic" people. I have started buying organic fruits and pastas and sauces( pizza, salsa etc) I am thinking of joining our local co-op in town, if not I will just steal some of my moms vegetables from her garden. Its really expensive and I don't want to go all crazy but slowly I will be making the change. I am sure I will eventually eat a McDonalds chicken nugget or enjoy heavily preserved canned and boxed food the way I do now and lets not even talk about how I will ever give up diet coke. Its a good time to start this, the farmers market is coming to town for the summer and its fresh fruit and veggie season. The main reason I am dong this is I have stumbled across a few different articles and youtube videos of about how our food is made and its just really got me wanting to not put all that crap in my( and my kids) bodies...except diet coke:) Here is to looking forward to a summer of healthier eating for the Eberhardt family!

No comments:

Post a Comment