Friday, April 27, 2012

Dear 20 year old me

I recently saw a ad campaign for skin cancer called dear 16 year old me, it was all about what skin patients would have done differently when they were younger. This got me thinking about if I could go back and do my college years over again would I have done anything different. I really don't sit and just think about one thing for long periods of time very often but this particular day I did. The last decade for me was a pretty great one. I was a college cheerleader having the time of my life, met a great guy, got married, worked for a bit, went back to school graduated( twice) had 3 kids, bought a house and became a stay at home mom... but was I truly happy, would I have done something different? Perhaps I would have moved to D.C right after I graduated with my Forensic Science Degree and not waited around in grand forks to see if things worked out with my boyfriend or maybe I would have graduated with my Chemical Engineering degree and we would have moved somewhere where we both worked full time. Maybe I would have never cheered or only cheered for a year or so and really concentrated on my school work or worked more while in school to save for my future. Maybe I would have taken more vacations with my husband before we had kids. Should we have spaced our kids out more or waited to buy a house. After consider these and thousand more options I came to one very satisfying conclusion, I wouldn't change a thing. 
Cheering allowed me to meet my boyfriend, not moving allowed my boyfriend to become my husband and my indecisiveness about what I wanted to do allowed me to be in school long enough to have 1.5 kids and realize I wanted to be a stay at home mom. Our life isn't always easy, with 3 young kids and bills to pay there is usually something for me to worry or stress about but at the end of the day I absolutely love the little life that Brandon and I have built. If given the opportunity to go back and talk to 20 year old me the only thing I would say is you are going to be one lucky lady in the future..oh and don't forget to wear sunscreen. 









No comments:

Post a Comment