Sunday, November 3, 2013

Halloween 2013


Thursday was the day! The day the kids had been counting down to and looking forward to for weeks now. Thursday was Halloween! 
I have never been really into Halloween, don't get me wrong, I love seeing those kids all dressed up toddling around, the 1-3 year old kids are my absolute favorite! I just don't like scary things, I get nightmares thinking about the elementary school scare house I went through when I was 8, I can't imagine it was actually that scary, it was put on by 4th and 5th graders but to this day, it brings a memory of utter fear. The blood,guts, vampire, ghosts of it all I can do without! In fact, when I was in elementary school , at least for a few years of it, I was not allowed to celebrate Halloween. My parents didn't want us to participate in what has now become societies spin on a once pagan holiday. It has become a day where some choose to really celebrate the evil that is in the world.

One morning at breakfast, Elias asked what was Halloween, what were we celebrating,and to be honest I didn't have an answer. I looked into it and to make a long story short, the pagans would celebrate the dead people, the catholic church liked to celebrate saints. The church combined the two, got rid of the bad pagan stuff and Hallomas was born( this is Super abbreviated, if you care to look into Halloween for your self, go right ahead). Hallomas is the celebration on the eve of all saints and all souls day (think Christmas eve, Christmas day).  The dressing up was leftover from the pagan stuff, then marketing and the 20th century got a hold of the holiday and now Halloween is what you see today. 
So. Now I know how to answer Elias's question about what is Halloween, it is a pre-celebration to all saints and all souls day, at least that is the part of Halloween I will continue to emphasize to my kids as they grow.
 I bet you didn't think you were getting a history lesson today, did you?
Now, onto the pictures, candy and cuteness!!!

We took pictures at home then headed to a couple of our neighbors houses for some trick or treating!


Princess Ariel
Eeyore( this costume has gotten some use out of it! First Gavin, then Elias, now Benjamin ! Two years from now, it will be Samuel!


Iron Man!

Batman flew in for a quick picture




 Heading to our wonderful neighbors to do some trick-or-treating

  
I still can't believe how warm it was outside, we way overdressed everyone but Samuel









 Our next stop was Kellie's house! We loaded up the kids and drove on over. When Kellie answered the door in witches garb, Benjamin was about ready to run the other way. He was not too sure of this whole thing.After some bribing with candy( and Kellie taking off her witch hat) he was in the house. Kellie's dad, Brian was too funny! He asked the kids if they wanted a potato and Elias said he didn't like them then asked for three. After the excitement of the potatoes wore off, they went into the kitchen and came out with boxes of fruit snacks and packages of cookies and candies, We were WAY too spoiled at the Harris' house this year!!! The best part is, I got enough potatoes to make mashed potatoes this week, and I didn't even have to buy them! 













 After we loaded up our loot and our kids, we headed to Grandma Mim's for some trick or treating. Benjamin is a creature of habit and was NOT happy about the garage door being closed. He stood there and cried Ga'ma Ga'ma we finally convinced him to walk around and ring her door bell. Once inside the kids got treats, relaxed a bit and we all took some pictures. 












 Batman tried to fly away, but unfortunately, he cant roll over  yet so he stayed put. After Grandma Mim's we headed to Grammy s house to go trick or treating with the cousins! Grammy stayed back at the house with Samuel and passed out candy while Brandon, Me, Skyla( her friend) and the older kids went door to door. It took about a hour and we only needed one princess potty break and one pit stop to feed a baby, but we did it! The kids had great fun and it wasn't too stressful on the adults either! We said our thank yous and goodbyes and headed home to unload all that candy!











The treats are hidden, the costumes placed in the dress up bin and the potatoes cooking on the stove, Halloween 2013 is in the books! How ever you choose to celebrate, hope you had a wonderful evening!


No comments:

Post a Comment