Thursday, April 7, 2016

Happy 60th B-day Mom!

In an attempt to catch up this blog, I am taking it back a month to my Mom's very special 60th birthday party celebration. 
In late February, very LATE February, my dad came to me and asked for my help in setting up a surprise 60th birthday party for my mom. We immediately got to work finding a place, secretly inviting people, ordering food and a cake all the while keeping a secret from anyone under the age of 20. My dad got pretty clever with his excuses of why he kept having to come over to my house without anyone. Even with our sneakiness, my mom did eventually begin to suspect something. I was able to throw her off her suspicion train when  I called to ask her what kind of cake she wanted me to make and to solidify the plans for us to babysit and for them to come over after dinner. Surprised not ruined, phew!
The day of the party my dad dropped Gavin off and he went home to get ready to "take my mom to dinner". Kellie came over, picked up me and Gavin and we headed to my parents church to decorate and get things set up. Kellie is a master planner and organizer and she had the party room looking great! Guests started to arrive as we were taping the last balloon and all that was left to do was wait for the birthday girl. 
 Kellie showing off the food table...with no food
 AMAZING cake pop and cup cake display
 Grandma Mim waiting with Elias for the birthday girl
Some of the guests waiting for the big surprise.

My mom knew as soon as she pulled into the church parking lot that something was up. She figured it had something to do with her birthday but she was still surprised when she rounded the corner and saw everyone !


My mom was able to spend 15 minute saying hello and chit chatting with everyone who made it. The food arrived right on cue and we had a yummy Olive Garden dinner and enjoyed a slideshow I put together for her. My sister Nikki and her family included a nice birthday message to my mom, since they couldn't be at the party and it was a great way to end the "presentation". After that was over, and everyone had seconds on bread sticks, it was time for cake! 
I ordered cupcakes and cake pops from a lady who just moved to the area and makes them (designedwithsugar.com). They were AMAZING!!! 
 enjoying the slideshow
 
The kids of the party helping blow out the candles.

We rounded out the evening with gifts then just chit chatting and hanging out celebrating an awesome person turning 60!

At one point I was talking to a friend of my moms, thanking her for showing up on such late notice.  I mentioned how impressed I was that everyone who was invited was able to make it. My mom's friend so wisely said, "well that really shows what kind of person your mom is, she is always doing so much for others, that people wanted to return the favor." Even with my dad's less than timely planning skills, it was a wonderful turnout to celebrate a wonderful birthday!


I had the big lens on my camera and even all the way across the room I couldn't get everyone in one picture!

Happy 60th Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment