Wednesday, May 13, 2015

DIY bike rack

As the weather turned warm, it was time for us to start thinking about how we were going to store all of our bikes this summer. At the old house, we used our garage and just parked the car outside all summer. Technically that was an option here too, just not one I wanted to use unless I had to. We purchased a storage shed that we shoved all the lawn equipment and bikes into for the winter, but to get one bike you had to take everything out of the shed. Our garage already has shelves up high so hanging the bikes above the car wasn't an option. I did some googling and found that for a reasonable price, I could build a bike rack out of PVC pipe. A lot of the plans I found ( for free) were actually for the back of a truck, which was not what I needed. I was able to tweek a couple together and come up with this

 We had a lot of money in menards gift cards and rebates so I headed to the store to pick up my supplies! One of the things I bought was a PVC pipe cutter. I will say this, it makes very smooth cuts but takes FOREVER to cut( I bought the cheapest one). We ended up borrowing Mim's hack saw and although the cuts were ugly, it went quick. In this case, it didn't even matter what the cuts looked like because they were all hidden. Brandon was sleeping but Uncle Jordan was over hanging out so I put him to good work! We cut and assembled the bike in about an hour. I live the way it turned out! I could paint it or make it look fancier but right now it suits our purpose! I have recently decided to cover it with a tarp when not in use, I don't want the bikes to undergo too much wear and tear and the tarp is a perfect solution to keep off the rain and blistering sun when our bikes aren't in use. 
Also, in case you are wondering we don't lock the bikes. they sit behind our house and someone would have to know they are there to go and steal them. Luckily we live in a safe neighborhood!


Here is to MANY more projects in and around the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment