Sunday, July 11, 2010

Welcome to Chi Town

Jade and I have been friends since 1996! We met in Illinios when our families were both stationed there. I moved away in 1998, but we kept in touch all these years. We try to get together once a year but usually that means Jade coming to visit me. Well we both felt it was about time I finally got around to going to visit her!
 I flew into Chicago on Thursday and after a quick stop at Noodles and Company for my favorite dish in the whole world( Wisconsin Mac and Cheese) is was time to start being tourists! We started our afternoon by renting bikes at Navy Pier. Our intentions were to do a nice 2 mile bike ride down to the museums where we had free passes to the museum of Science and Industry. After a beautiful bike ride to where all the museums were we realized that the Science museum was much much further away. No problem we thought, we have bikes! After riding about 6 miles we realized the museum would be closed by the time we got there so we turned around and headed back. Our nice 2 mile bike ride turned into 12 miles in 84 degree weather Uffda( and that is not counting the ride to millennium park ). We rode our bikes first to Buckingham Fountain then to millennium park to see the infamous bean !! After sightseeing around the park we dropped our bikes off at the pier showered and headed out for dinner at a yummy Mexican restaurant.

Jade lives on the 39th floor of in a apartment with phenomenal views including that of Lake Michigan, Hancock building, Navy Pier and even Oprah's apartment:) After dinner I stared out at the city in Chicago all light up thinking how different it was from my quite house across from a park in ND!

The next day we took a boat tour of the city and we learned alot about the different buildings in the city. It was pretty dang fun. After ,we took a picture with the Silver Man. He dresses in all silver paints himself and sits perfectly still occasionally moving to scare a passer by er, kinda funny. Anyways,we went back down to the pier,only this time to sight see. After a quick lunch and Ferris wheel ride it was time to head back to get ready for the night. We ate at an AWESOME place called Flo and Santos, if you live/visit Chicago I highly recommend it!!! Jade's friend Dan lives in an apartment with a awesome roof deck and we went up to see the city in yet a different way. I saw the fireworks from the whitesox game(boo they won) , the building where the ending scene of the fugitive was filmed, Lake Michigan, Sears tower and much more. After a stop for a friends birthday party we headed home.

The last day we did the magnificent mile. Walking up and down Michigan avenue shopping away. We then stopped by Art fest for a bit( very different from the one we have here!) Jade had tickets up to the Hancock tower so we went up for some spectacular views. A quick lunch in a truly unique food court at the water tower and we headed home so I could pack.

It was a great trip with a great friend but I was happy to get home and see my babies. Brandon was very happy to see me and was glad to give up his role of being a stay at home dad, though he did a great job! The house was even clean. when I got home




Renting our bikes...little did we know how much we would be using them


View from what we thought was our final destination
The Bean !!!!
(I was way more excited about it then Jade was)



The silver man giving a kiss to Jade..or the Indian as he referred to her( how politically correct hua?ps she is Asian!)

On the boat tour


Waiting for our ride on the Ferris Wheel...Plaid was the theme that day I guess

Friend since 9th grade!!


On the roof deck with the Sears tower in the background


At the top of the Hancock tower with a view of Lincoln Park in the background
















No comments:

Post a Comment